SELECTED VERSES FROM THE
LAMENTATIONS AT THE BIER OF THE MOTHER OF GOD
1. In a grave they laid Thee / O my Life and my Christ / and now also the Mother of Life / a strange sight
both to angels and men.
2. We magnify thee / O pure Theotokos / and we honor thy holy Dormition / as we bow before thine
3. How, O Mary, canst thou die / thou who art the life of faithful ones / and how can the tomb contain thy
body / which contained the One Which cannot be contained.
4. Queen who gavest birth to God / the King of the heavens / thou art now royally translated, O pure one / to
the kingdom of the heavens.
5. From the earth thou wast translated / but thou didst not forsake the earth / Now All-holy Theotokos /
liberate the whole world from mighty ones.
6. Gabriel was sent from God / to announce to thee the good news / of thine imminent departure from this
life / O thou pure and spotless heavenly Lady.
7. Receive, O Mother / from thy children our love / and these hymns and odes to bid thee farewell / which
we offer from the depth of our souls.
8. Leave us not orphaned, O Mother / as thou dost go from earth to heav’n / where thou will be reunited /
with thy Son and thy God.
9. Come with me, O Anna / Come and stand with us now / lead us in the festive praises of Mary / thine own
daughter, the Mother of God.
10. The God of glory / thy Son, O pure one / now admits thee as His Mother with glory / and enthrones thee at
His right hand.
11. The holy Apostles / O pure Theotokos / when they saw thine all-holy body / fell before it weeping
12. The gate enters the gate / and heaven enters heaven, / O ineffable and wondrous mystery! / Now the
throne draws near to the throne of God.Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
Word of God, we hymn Thee / God of all things art Thou / with Thy Father and Thy Spirit Most Holy
praised / and we glorify Thy nature divine.
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Ev’ry generation / blesses thee, O Theotokos / ever-virgin and sov’reign Lady / and we glorify thy
Qolo: Assumption Entrance Hymn
O Mother who gave Life to us,
petition on our behalf
the Son who appeared from you:
may he remove from us the blows of punishment,
and keep away divisions and disputes.
May he lead us in the path of life in which we journey
at all times.
On your memorial day,
we sing praise to your only Son.Alleluia!
Blessed are you, O Mary,
for God, who feeds all creatures,
was nourished by you
and rested on your breast.
The Son of God was nourished
by a human creature!
He assumed what is ours
and gave us what is his.
On his mother’s memorial let us proclaim:
Glory to you, O Lord.
As dew was falling gently
over the city of Ephesus
Saint John wrote to its people.
He instructed them to celebrate
the memory of the Blessed Mary,
three times each year:
In January, during the time of planting of the seeds;
in May, during the time of harvest;
and in August, during the time of the grapes.
For the mysteries of life are prefigured in these months.
On your memorial day, O Blessed Mary,
angels and mortals are overwhelmed with joy.
The dead rejoice in their tombs
because of the glory in creation.
God will bless
those who celebrate your memory with faith
and pour his mercy upon them.
Who is to see a new ship
sustaining the One who is mighty;
the One who sustains and rules all creation.
Mary bore him, yet he bears all creation.
He nourishes all living creatures,
yet she nourished him with her milk.
He is the Maker of all infants,
yet he dwelt, as an infant, in her womb.
The fiery beings in the heights
sing hymns of praise to him!
(From the Maronite Catholic: Qolo (Hymn) of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Qurbono, The Book of Offering, Maronite Catholic Church | English rendering 1994 | Ancient Maronite )